As a critical phase of early processing, desalting crude oil extracts salts such as sodium, calcium and magnesium that are dissolved in water within the oil. Unless these compounds are removed, they lead to the formation of hydrochloric acid that increases corrosion risks for your equipment.
Forum’s desalter/dehydrator solutions leverage the legacy Howe-Baker electrostatic separation technology – an oil and gas standard for almost 75 years. Our EDGE® product line offers reliable desalters/dehydrators that utilize an AC-type electrostatic coalescing process to efficiently treat crude oil. Extracting contaminants – water, water-soluble salts, other hydrocarbons – from the oil flow helps reduce process equipment corrosion and extra transportation costs from factors such as increased viscosity.
During electrostatic dehydration, an electrode applies a high-voltage electrical field to an oil/water mixture and excites brine droplets inside the bulk oil, forcing it to separate. As the water falls out, so do many of the undesirable salts and solids. The EDGE electrical desalting separation leads to high-quality products for the upstream and refining industries.
Benefits and Features
- Reduced salt carryover for minimized corrosion, chemical costs, equipment fouling/foaming, maintenance costs and unplanned shutdowns
- Decreased water carryover for lower energy costs, stabilized unit operations, increased crude throughput, minimized slop oil production and reduced waste water treatment costs
- Reduced power consumption and chemistry optimization
- Solid-steel rod electrodes unaffected by high oxygen concentrations (typical life of +20 years)
- Insulators (grid hangers) with proprietary materials, ensuring highest tensile strength in the industry
- Optional severe service entrance bushing for higher pressure/temperature operation
- Compatible with the ForuMIX™ high-efficiency multiphase mixer
- In accordance with industry standards and best practices (ISO certified)
- Extensive user list with installations around the world
- Pilot plant services
Forum’s unique electrostatic separation desalter/dehydrator technologies are available in several configurations that feature one, two or three electrodes, depending on power availability. These designs offer various distribution and electrode locations that are tailored to specific processing requirements and operational needs.
- Original EDGE design
- EDGE II
- EDGE III
- NU-STATIC® distillate treater/coalescer (DC)
Applications: EDGE Original
- Lighter crudes
- Crudes in production applications
- Crudes with high water content
Applications: EDGE II
- Heavy or high-viscosity oil
- Crude oil with high solids content
- Synthetically produced oil
- Emulsion-sensitive feed stocks
- Higher throughput rates in existing vessels
- Greater flexibility in changing feedstocks
Applications: EDGE III
EDGE III combines all of the applications of the EDGE/EDGE II distribution systems into the same vessel for a highly flexible design. As properties of the crude oil change, the combined distribution systems offer optimal processing.
Processing of natural condensates, aromatics, reformer feed, virgin naphtha, distillates hydroxide, jet fuel/kerosene hydroxide, alkylate and distillates
The Forum/Howe-Baker Partnership
Forum acquired the Howe-Baker product line of desalters, dehydrators and distillate treaters in 2010, including all design and technical drawings. As the owners of the original design, Forum is the only authorized equipment manufacturer. To date, more than 500 units have been installed at locations around the world. View Our History for more information, or contact us to receive quotes or other information.
A Brief History of Desalting Excellence
Forum is the original equipment manufacturer of Howe-Baker electrostatic equipment, which includes the entire family of EDGE™ desalter equipment. We are the only authorized source of design, supply and support for these proprietary products. While we continue to pursue cutting-edge advancements in desalting technology, our success is grounded in more than 75 years of engineering excellence.
Based in Tyler, Texas, Howe-Baker Engineers develops proprietary electrostatic separation processes.
Howe-Baker perfects Two‐Grid electrostatic separation systems that are deployed in numerous desalter plants.
Howe-Baker advances desalting technology with enhanced Tri-Grid process.
Howe-Baker creates proprietary Enhanced Deep‐Grid Electrical (EDGE) electrostatic desalter.
Chicago Bridge & Iron (CB&I) acquires Howe-Baker and its electrostatic separation group.
Cameron purchases CB&I’s entire line of electrostatic separator products including those developed by Howe-Baker.
Forum Energy Technologies acquires Howe-Baker electrostatic separator line, including EDGE desalter products, and exclusive rights to NATCO® Dual Frequency® technologies.
Forum develops next-generation EDGE II electrostatic separator.
Forum outfits a major Gulf Coast refiner with EDGE II technology, providing exceptional results.
Forum develops EDGE III, combining EDGE/EDGE II technology in the same vessel.
Forum offers the ForuMix™ multiphase mixer, taking desalting efficiency to the next level.