Tong Torque Systems & Tension Load Cell
Accurate torque measurement systems reduce drill collar and tool joint failure
Forum Tong Torque Systems indicate the torque applied to drill pipe, drill collars, tubing, and casing while joints are made — important for reducing drill collar and tool joint failure resulting from improper make-up. Two main types of Tong Torque Systems are available:
TLP (Tong Line Pull) Series — Indicates make-up or break-out torque (in pounds of line pull) for tool joints, drill collars, and drill string components.
JT (Joint Type) Series — Indicates torque (in foot-pounds) applied to each joint when using power tongs to run pipe or casings.
Each Tong Torque System consists of a Tension Load Cell that converts line pull into a hydraulic pressure signal, which it sends to a pressure-sensing Gauge through an interconnecting Hydraulic Hose. Each system also includes mounting hardware.
- Indicates make-up or breakout torque (in pounds of line pull) for tool joints, drill collars, and drill string components.
- 6-inch fluid-filled indicator displays line pull.
- Adjustable target pointer can be set to the desired line pull value so the driller can work to a clear mark.
- Models and capacities available to work with all manual tongs.
- A wide range of capacities — from 10,000 pounds to 30,000 pounds of line pull, with metric equivalents available.
- Models available for permanent installation, or for temporary mounting directly on the tong handle.
- Combination dials available.
- Indicates torque (in foot-pounds) applied to each joint when using power tongs to run pipe or casings.
- Models available for specific makes and models of power tong.
- Load Cells available in both tension and compression models, for use with any type of tong.
- Capacities up to 120,000 foot-pounds, with metric equivalents available.
- Dual-scale models available.
- Heavy-duty, rugged Load Cell includes an integrated cylinder and piston, ensuring a long service life and minimum maintenance.
- Fluid protects working parts of gauge — further reducing the need for repairs and protecting your equipment investment.
- Provides accurate torque indications, reducing drill collar and tool joint failure.
- Gauge pointer can be set to the required torque to give driller a clear target mark.
- Box mount, panel mount, tong clamp and tong handle mount configurations available, providing the flexibility to obtain indications every time collars are run or only for spot checks.
Rugged Load Cell delivers accurate torque measurement
In Forum Tongue Torque Systems, the Tension Load Cell transmits applied pull measurements to the indicator gauge.
Manufactured only by Forum Drilling Instrumentation to demanding specifications.
- Available in four sizes: 3.68 (5K), 4.0 (20 K), 6.53 (25 K), and 10.8 (30 K) square inches
- Integral design ensures long service life and minimum maintenance
- Manufactured entirely from bar stock
- 100% material traceability
- Maximum single line pull workloads from 20,000 to 30,000 pounds