Sr. Manager of Product Development - Engineering
Date Posted: Jul 25 2014
Duration: Until Filled
Manage and develop new product development programs for drilling technologies to ensure timely market introduction to support new business initiatives. Design new products to include structural/mechanical systems, electrical systems, and control systems for Oil & Gas drilling products, including catwalks, cranes, iron roughnecks and mud pumps along with their related subsystems. Work with Sales, Project Management and Product Engineering teams to create new product concepts and execute on the development of those products.
- Work with Sales, PM and Customers to develop new products for the O&G drilling market
- Analyze field and customer business opportunity and use the data to develop potential new products to comply with market price targets, project specifications and code requirements.
- Perform engineering calculations, writing specifications, formulating sketches, testing criteria, failure analysis, cost and scheduling estimates.
- Provide technical support to Project Management, Applications Engineering, Drafting and Sales to develop overall technical data package.
- Lead the Product Development engineering team to effectively meet departmental goals; analyze engineering requirements on projects and assign work to various engineers based on their abilities.
- Continuously review and update engineering standards and analyze products and procedures for areas of improvement.
- Adapt to changing customer profiles and work under pressure in a real-time environment while optimizing use of time and resources and handle several projects at simultaneously.
- Interact with individuals at all organizational levels to resolve internal and external customer issues.
- Develop and maintain process for securing Intellectual Property on new product designs
- Works independently under minimal supervision
- Other duties as assigned.
Technical/Industry Expertise - Demonstrated background in Engineering (preferably within the Oil & Gas Drilling Industry);
Strong knowledge and experience in product development including utilization of stage gates
Driving for Results - Setting high goals for self and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goal attainment; tenaciously working to meet or exceed those goals while deriving satisfaction from the process of goal achievement and continuous improvement.
Operations Savvy - Action oriented; can be counted on to consistently to exceed goals; bottom-line oriented; clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; pushes others for results and holds them accountable; works through others to achieve results; maintains big-picture view of key projects and initiatives without getting lost in the details.
Communicates with Impact - Clearly and consistently gets information across in a timely and effective manner both verbally and in writing. Demonstrates the ability to influence people and get them to take appropriate action.
Approach to Talent - Is a good judge of talent; hires the best people available from inside or outside; is not afraid of selecting strong people; can accurately assess strengths and weaknesses; provides accurate and timely feedback; actively engages in coaching and developing others; provides opportunities for people to develop.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering; advanced engineering degree preferred
- Technical/Industry Expertise- Demonstrated background in Engineering (preferably within the Oil & Gas Drilling Industry);
- 10 years technical experience with at least 5 years managing an engineering design organization