Mechanical Design Engineer
Date Posted: Mar 27 2015
Duration: Until Filled
Location:Blackburn, Aberdeenshire, UK
Forum Energy Technologies require a Mechanical Design Engineer to provide engineering design and support functions, reporting to the Lead Mechanical Engineer
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Directly responsible for the mechanical design of new products and upgrading existing products, taken from design concept to assembly.
- Performing work in accordance with Company procedures and guidelines.
- Modelling of parts, assemblies and production of detailed drawings and exploded view drawings in Solidworks.
- Checking drawings, for dimensional accuracy, tolerances and presentation.
- Analysis of the equipment involving; force and stress analysis, mechanism analysis, and hydraulic and electro-mechanical analysis of drive systems involving motors, gearing and actuators. The analysis will involve hand calculations and spreadsheets with Mathcad and Excel, and finite element analysis with Cosmos.
- Interaction with electronic design engineers to ensure product is designed concurrently with electronic component integration.
- Assisting Production with new builds to ensure that parts and assemblies are correct.
- Interaction with Purchasing and QC departments to ensure that parts and items are as per the design intent.
- Assist the other engineers in the workshop designing remote controlled electro-mechanical and hydraulic products that are used in harsh environments.
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Mechanical or related/equivalent subject (lesser qualifications coupled with suitable design experience may be considered in exceptional circumstances).
- Experience in a design environment.
- Design of ROV systems.
- Offshore experience preferred.
- Sound engineering knowledge.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Clear technical writing and good record keeping.
- Willingness to learn new engineering skills in a professional environment.
- Attentive to ISO 9001 QA systems.
- Flexibility, adaptability and professionalism, with the ability to work cooperatively as part of a multidiscipline team, or on individual projects.
- Team Player.
- Customer focus.
- Good IT skills with excellent working knowledge of 3D CAD software.
- Good analytical skills of static and dynamic systems.
- Understanding of deadline achievements